What is Rocket Lawyer?
Rocket Lawyer is a company that provides you online legal services like business contract templates, civil/personal documents, and entity formation services.
It was founded in 2008, specializes in creating and handling legal documents online.
With Rocket Lawyer, you can get your legal work done without hiring a lawyer, although they do offer advice and counseling from actual lawyers.
They get high marks for their easy formation process, durable legal documents, and excellent customer reviews.
Sounds great, but what’s the catch? We’ll cover it all in this Rocket Lawyer review.
A short overview of what Rocket Lawyer provides
Rocket Lawyer helps you form your LLC quickly and easily. All you have to do is answer a few simple questions about your business and Rocket Lawyer does the rest.
Here’s what you can expect by signing up:
- Legal Help/Advice: Rocket Lawyer’s LLC specialists are ready to answer your formation questions and can walk you through the whole process.
- Full Refund: If you’re not completely satisfied with your LLC incorporation, Rocket Lawyer will give you a full refund. All refund requests must be made within 30 days of purchase.
- 7-day Free Trial: You can try out Rocket Lawyer’s services for a full seven days. You can cancel this free trial any time within seven days from registration.
- Easy-to-Create Legal Documents: Rocket Lawyer lets you create reliable legal documents that you can sign in seconds, share, download, and print any time.
- Attorney Services: Ask a lawyer legal questions, get a 30-minute consultation, or get help defending your document.
- Registered Agent Service: Rocket Lawyer offers a registered agent to keep your LLC compliant and represented.
How does Rocket Lawyer Work?
Forming your LLC with Rocket Lawyer is quick and easy.
- Select your state of incorporation and business type which will be “LLC”.
- Fill up the business information form.
- Select whether you want to sign up for a premium membership or processing service only.
- Proceed to checkout and you’re done!
Once you’ve checked out, Rocket Lawyer then checks your LLC name, files your paperwork, then follows up with your state. They then store your documents in your account and send you hard copies.
Rocket Lawyer LLC Formation Packages
How much does Rocket Lawyer charge to create your LLC?
Rocket Lawyer doesn’t offer formation packages. Instead, you choose from either premium membership or just their processing service.
Rocket Lawyer’s premium membership lets you save on all essential legal services which you’ll have to pay separately if you’re a non-member. You can try out the premium membership for seven (7) days then pay $39.99 per month thereafter.
Here’s what you’re getting by becoming a premium member:
- Free legal documents ($39.99/document for non-members): Create reliable legal documents for hundreds of purposes which you can sign online in seconds, share, download, and print anytime.
- Free Document Defense on Rocket Lawyer documents ($9.99/document for non-members): With this service, a Rocket Lawyer On Call attorney personally reviews your situation and helps you enforce your contract, so you can get back to work.
- Ask a Lawyer your legal questions for free ($49.99/question for non-members): Rocket Lawyer’s attorneys are ready to answer any of your legal questions whether LLC formation-related or not.
- Free 30-minute consultation on every new legal matter ($59.99/consultation for non-members): You can consult with Rocket Lawyer’s attorneys every time you encounter a new legal issue during your membership. Note that this service is unavailable in your free trial.
- Discounts when you hire a Rocket Lawyer On Call attorney (Unavailable for non-members): For those times when you need to hire a Rocket Lawyer to represent you or your business in court, you can get a discount of up to 40% on lawyer’s fees. Note that this service is unavailable in your free trial.
- Affordable incorporation filing ($99.99 for non-members excluding state fees): New members get FREE incorporation filing and 25% off every incorporation after your first one. Note that this only applies to filing fees. You still need to pay state fees.
- Affordable Registered Agent service ($149.99 for non-members): Members enjoy a 25% discount on Rocket Lawyer’s registered agent service.
Premium membership is perfect for businesses that require constant legal assistance and consultations during their lifetime.
Otherwise, you’re better off just getting the specific services you want.
How long it takes for Rocket Lawyer to form your LLC?
Rocket Lawyer’s turnaround time will vary according to your filing state’s requirements. This may take just a few business days to several weeks. We aren’t surprised as this is how it is for most LLC formation services.
Popular Rocket Lawyer LLC Alternatives
At this point:
We’ve discussed how good Rocket Lawyer is and what it offers your business. But what about the competition?
If you don’t feel like Rocket Lawyer isn’t the right one for you, there are alternatives available.
If you want to check out other LLC formation services, we recommend you check out ZenBusiness or our in-depth ZenBusiness review.
In a nutshell:
Rocket Lawyer and ZenBusiness are easy-to-use.
Price-wise, ZenBusiness is more affordable starting at just $49 a year compared to Rocket Lawyer’s $39.99 per month.
ZenBusiness also offers more packages with more LLC features by default (like a registered agent service and an operating agreement) compared to Rocket Lawyer’s single premium membership package.
Lastly, Trustpilot customer reviews rate ZenBusiness just a tad higher than Rocket Lawyer at 4.8 vs 4.6, respectively (more on this below).
Rocket Lawyer customer reviews
As with every LLC service we review, it’s always a good idea to check out what real customers have to say. For this part of our review, we looked at Rocket Lawyer’s rating on Trustpilot.
Rocket Lawyer got an excellent 4.6 rating from over 2,300 customer reviews.
We summarized what customers had to say and we got the following:
Positive-rating customers praise Rocket Lawyer for its ease-of-use, the reliable legal documents it produces, speed, and overall convenience.
Negative-rating customers complained about Rocket Lawyer not letting you choose a specific lawyer, seemingly poor customer service, and expensive legal documents.
Should you form an LLC with Rocket Lawyer?
So, with everything we’ve discussed, is Rocket Lawyer the right LLC formation service for you?
As far as advantages go, Rocket Lawyer offers robust legal documents, a registered agent service, document defense, legal advice and legal consultation, as well as a user-friendly and speedy formation process plus a free trial period and a refund policy. It’s no wonder most customers rate it an excellent 4.6 on Trustpilot.
If you’re looking for a formation service that lets you create your LLC easily while also catering to your business’ legal needs then Rocket Lawyer is perfect for you.
If you find Rocket Lawyer’s monthly membership fee or one-time processing fees too pricey, there are alternatives out there. Our top pick is still ZenBusiness which is more affordable, has more pricing options, offers more features by default, is backed by great customer support, and has higher customer ratings.
Do we recommend Rocket Lawyer?
Yes. Rocket Lawyer’s robust legal services, easy formation process, and excellent customer rating certainly warrant its place among the top LLC formation services today.
Rocket Lawyer vs ZenBusiness: Which is Better?
ZenBusiness is more affordable, has more pricing options, offers more features by default, is backed by great customer support, and has higher customer ratings.
What Are Rocket Lawyer’s Biggest Pros and Cons?
Rocket Lawyer’s biggest pros are their robust legal documents, a registered agent service, document defense, legal advice and consultations, a user-friendly and speedy formation process, a free trial period, a refund policy, and its excellent 4.6 rating on Trustpilot.
Their biggest con is their pricing.
If I Use Rocket Lawyer, Which Features Should I Get?
If your business requires constant legal guidance, their ongoing legal service option is viable.
If you simply want to stay compliant, get their Registered Agent service.
Does Rocket Lawyer Offer Publication Service?
Yes, but you have to pay extra as they don’t include this service as part of their LLC formation process by default.
Do They Help With Ongoing Compliance Requirements?
Yes. You can get their Registered Agent service to stay compliant with the state.
What’s Their Refund Policy?
If you’re not completely satisfied with your LLC incorporation, Rocket Lawyer will give you a full refund. All refund requests must be made within 30 days of purchase.
Why Do I Need to Use a Business Formation Service?
Forming an LLC can be time-consuming, confusing, and costly — especially if you’re just starting a business. A business formation service saves you from all of these problems (for a price) so you can focus more on growing your business.